2020 Proposed Legislation
HB1475 | Title: Prohibiting abortions after detection of fetal heartbeat.
Sponsors: (Prime) Rep. Testerman, Merr. 2; Rep. Stapleton, Sull. 5
NHRTL position: NHRTL fully supports HB 1475 because it extends legal protection to All babies when the heartbeat is detected without exception.
Next hearing: 01/29/2020 at 10:00 AM, Reps Hall
HB1640 | Title: Relative to parental notification prior to abortion.
Sponsors: Rep. Horn, Merr. 2; Rep. Fowler, Rock. 20; Sen. Giuda, Dist 2
NHRTL position: This bill deletes the “Judicial bypass” option for minors seeking abortion, and requires at least one parent be notified before the abortion occurs. Parents often save their children and grandchildren from abortion.
Next hearing: 01/29/2020 at 11:00 AM, Reps Hall
HB1675 | Title: Relative to the right of any infant born alive to medically appropriate and reasonable care and treatment.
Sponsors: Rep. Prudhomme-O’Brien, Rock. 6; Rep. Cordelli, Carr. 4; Rep. Ulery, Hills. 37; Rep. Notter, Hills. 21; Rep. Rice, Hills. 37; Rep. Gould, Hills. 7; Rep. Rooney, Straf. 1; Rep. Katsakiores, Rock. 6; Rep. Hobson, Rock. 35
NHRTL position: Every born baby should be protected in law and get good medical treatment.
Next hearing: 01/29/2020 at 1:00 PM, Reps Hall
HB1678 | Title: Relative to prohibiting abortion in certain cases.
Sponsors: Rep. Rooney, Straf. 1; Rep. Stapleton, Sull. 5; Rep. Rice, Hills. 37; Rep. Gould, Hills. 7; Rep. Prudhomme-O’Brien, Rock. 6; Rep. McNally, Straf. 10; Sen. Birdsell, Dist 19
NHRTL position: This bill would prohibit abortion solely because of the sex of the unborn child, diagnosis of Down Syndrome, or other genetic abnormality. All pre-born babies deserve the right to life, regardless of gender or medical diagnosis.
Next hearing: 01/29/2020 at 2:00 PM, Reps Hall
HB1659 | Title: Relative to patient directed care and patient’s rights with regard to end-of-life decisions.
Sponsors: Rep. Sandler, Straf. 21; Rep. Vincent, Straf. 17; Rep. Frost, Straf. 16; Rep. Saunderson, Merr. 9; Rep. Towne, Straf. 4; Rep. Bartlett, Merr. 19; Rep. Cannon, Straf. 18; Rep. Woods, Merr. 23; Sen. Hennessey, Dist 5
NHRTL position: This bill allows doctors to prescribe “medication for the purpose of ending such person’s life” upon with “an incurable and irreversible disease that has been medically confirmed and will, within reasonable medical judgment, produce death within 6 months.”
- No protection for the sick person: once the prescription is filled. Once the deadly drugs are in hand, anyone, a caretaker, a relative, a friend, a beneficiary, etc., can administer them with no questions asked. Just drop them in Grammy’s oatmeal
- “6 months to live” is often inaccurate with patients living much longer. With the Death drugs in hand, if the patient changes her mind,…see # 1
No requirement for psychological evaluation: most of those requesting death, even those very sick and near death, often suffer from depression, and rescind their request when treated.
Next hearing: 02/12/2020 at 1:00 PM, LOB Room 208
CACR 14 | Title: Relating to reproductive medical decisions. Providing that the state shall not infringe or unduly inconvenience the right of reproductive medical decisions.
Sponsors: Rep. T. Smith, Hills. 17; Rep. Hamer, Hills. 17; Rep. Sofikitis, Hills. 34; Rep. Horrigan, Straf. 6; Rep. Ellison, Merr. 27; Rep. Grassie, Straf. 11; Rep. Frost, Straf. 16
NHRTL Position: CACR 14, would codify genocide into our NH Constitution with a “Right of Reproductive Health” clause that says: The right to make personal reproductive medical decisions is inviolate and fundamental to the human condition. Neither the State nor any political subdivision shall infringe upon or unduly inconvenience this right
In the name of convenience, this would:
- Prevent future laws that provide any protection for the unborn (like a late term abortion ban, for which there is widespread support)
- Nullify the few protections that NH currently has (a partial birth abortion ban and parental notification for minors)
- Remove existing State oversight for some medical and all abortion practices, threatening women’s health and allowing for horrific, unsafe conditions like those with Kermit Gosnell
- Drive up taxpayer costs with unrestricted public funding for abortion, contraception, expensive fertility treatments, and more.
Ellen Kolb, a prolific blogger and friend of Life, has a blog post with more information.
While there are other important bills in the legislature that we will be contacting you about, CACR 14 is especially urgent because it would be difficult to undo.